Monday, November 12, 2007

Breathe



I hold my breath . It feels like I might never let it go. “Breathe” I have to tell my self over and over again. Why is such a simple task sometimes so very hard. Alright now do the million other things she is telling you to do. “Do it now!!”. Pull your self together breathe ok. Breathe again. Good. Try again. You can do it.. I know you can. Concentrate. There you go. Tell your horse what a wonderful horse she is tell her how much you appreciate her, but do it quickly and don’t break your concentration. Good. She already knows how much you love her but it never hurts to say thank you again does it. Alright lets try the jump again. Think all the way. That's right collect, collect, energy don’t forget to give. “Ooops!!” don’t worry thank your horse tell her you are trying. “Breathe”. Alright here we go again this time think of a strong lower leg. 3,2,1, jump 1,2,3. “Ahhh that was nice”. I hear the these words coming from my riding instructor's lips and a warm happiness bubbles all the way up to my face making even my nose tingle a little. “Yes that was nice” I allow myself a little pat on the back and continue. Alright lets make the next one even better. 3,2,1, jump 1,2,3. My horse gives a little buck “yippee” I hear her say. “This is fun” There are sparks in our eyes as we soar (not quite as gracefully over the next jump). “Don’t get cocky” a little voice whispers into my ear. “Shush” I tell it. This is fun.

4 comments:

Lisa Paul said...

Love your blog, and here's a question for you. What breed would you recommend for my 75-year old mother. She was an experienced horsewoman, but since her old horse died, she's become very spooked by horses she doesn't know well. (She had her other horse for 20 years.) What breed should I be looking at that is calm, stable, bomb-proof and safe for a somewhat frail elderly woman to ride on trails? She used to have a Morgan, but all the Morgans we've been looking at lately seem too hot. Maybe you know some good horse dealers in Northern California, as well.

Kaitlin said...

Hi, Thanks for the question!!
If I were you I would try and find a older like age 16 and up very experienced bombproof grounded Quarter horse. It might take a little time to find but the end result is worth it. Do you know anybody around you who knows horses very well that you trust?? Or do you trust your judgement with buying a older horse? You will want to make sure that the horse is not drugged or dying etc. Also make sure that you don't get hooked into the old cuteness factor. There are so many people that go out looking for a nice quite bombproof horse and find a cute little young colt . This is very bad. So I congratulate you on going out and finding a second and third opinion you are already on the right track to finding your mother the right horse.
I hope that answers your question. If you need to know anything else or want any more information you know were to find me.
Thanks and good luck,
~Kaitlin

Cynthia Blue said...

Wow that is an amazing picture. I'm impressed. :) Breathe, for sure!

Carrizo said...

I loved the photo very much. There is so much "action" in it.

I am not riding but my granddaughter.

Greetings from Finland.